Zoom H2n Handy Recorder
- 5 Integrated Microphones
- 4 Selectable Recording Patterns
- 3.5mm I/O
- 1.8″ Backlit LCD Display
- 40mm Drivers on Headphones
- 20 Hz to 20 kHz Frequency Response
- Comfortable Closed-Back Design
ZOOM H2N HANDY OVERVIEW
This Zoom H2n Handy Recorder Kit from B&H gives you the Zoom H2n Handy Recorder alongside a pair of Resident Audio R100 Headphones in one convenient package. The H2n sports five built-in microphones to offer you four selectable microphone patterns, as well as 555 hours of stereo MP3 recording, a 1.8″ backlit LCD display, a 3.5mm external input jack, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Through this headphone jack, you can utilize the R100 headphones to monitor your signal. These headphones sport 40mm drivers, a frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and a closed-back design for a comfortable experience.
Zoom H2n 2-Input / 4-Track Portable Handy Recorder with Onboard 5-Mic Array
Ideal for versatile, immersive capture of musical ensembles and audio for VR, the Zoom H2n portable handheld recorder with an onboard 5-mic array lets you record high-resolution stereo or surround sound audio in the palm of your hand. Make aurally exciting music tracks and create captivating sound beds with nothing more than the H2n.
Like other H-Series Handy recorders such as the H5 and H6, you can hold it in your hand, attach it to a mic stand or tripod, or mount it to a camera (shoe mount available separately); the H2n’s multichannel capabilities and rugged, travel-friendly body make it more than ready to meet the varied demands of YouTube content creators, musicians, sound recordists, and more.From its long battery life to its Spatial Audio support, the H2n is well equipped for tracking live music, recording sound effects and ambience, or producing sound for 360° VR videos. It can supply plug-in power for a lavalier condenser mic, or even accept a direct line-level connection from a mixer or wireless receiver. No matter the source, selectable auto-recording and pre-recording ensure that you’ll never miss the start of a take.
- Onboard 5-Mic Array for Customizable Audio Pickup
- The H2n’s onboard 5-mic array opens the door to true stereo or surround sound recording without external microphones. The built-in microphones—two form an X/Y pair, while the other three are configured in a mid-side pattern—can be used separately for X/Y or MS stereo recording, or combined to create 2- or 4-channel surround sound. A simple dial atop the grille grants effortless switching between the four modes.
- Stereo/Surround Record Modes
- X/Y mode utilizes two matched unidirectional mics set at a 90° angle (relative to each other) for clear, phase-accurate capture with a tight stereo image. MS mode employs one forward-facing mic and two side-facing mics to simultaneously capture direct signal and ambience while providing optimal stereo-to-mono compatibility. The H2n’s internal MS decoder allows you to adjust the relative level of the mic element before or after the recording process, effectively manipulating the perceived stereo width.Use 2ch mode to create a single stereo file of the combined mics, or select 4ch mode to record the signal from the H2n’s X/Y mics onto one stereo track and signal from the MS mics onto another. The resulting pair of tracks can then be routed to separate speakers for an immersive listening experience or can be blended into a custom stereo track. In addition, the H2n’s MS decoding feature can be used to independently alter the level of the Side signal in both 2ch and 4ch modes.
- Spatial Audio for VR
- Using Spatial Audio mode, you can create a single 4-channel, multi-track WAV file that includes omni, left/right, and forward/backward tracks. This Spatial Audio file is then ready to be combined with 360° VR videos recorded with the Google Jump-compatible camera rig (such as the GoPro Odyssey or Ricoh Theta). Once completed, the immersive videos are ready to upload to YouTube.
- 3.5mm Microphone/Line Input with Plug-In Power
- Thanks to a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input that supplies 2.5V plug-in power, the H2n can accommodate an external condenser microphone such as a clip-on lavalier for crisp, close-miked speech reproduction. Plugging in an external source to the 3.5mm jack overrides the onboard X/Y stereo mic, so no menu-based input selection is required. Since the 3.5mm input also supports line-level signal, you can route the output of a wireless microphone receiver into the H2n.
- SD Card Recording and Audio Interface Functionality
- Maximize portability by recording directly to a separately available SD/SDHC card (up to 32GB capacity). A 4GB card will yield over three hours of 4-channel recording at 16-bit / 44.1 kHz resolution using the BWF-compliant WAV format for uncompressed audio quality and industry-standard file compatibility.Alternatively, use the H2n as a USB microphone, or as a 4-in/2-out USB 2.0 audio interface at up to 16-bit / 48 kHz. The USB port also enables the H2n to be used as a card reader for fast file transfers.
- 3.5mm Output for Hookup to a Camera or Headphones
- The 3.5mm line/headphone mini-jack output features a dedicated volume control, making it capable of feeding your camera/DSLR or a pair of headphones. A built-in monophonic speaker on the back of the H2n makes it easy to review your recordings to make sure everything has been captured properly.
- Powered via AA Batteries or AC Adapter
- Power the H2n via two included AA batteries, or plug it into a wall outlet with an AD-17 AC adapter (available separately). Alkaline batteries can keep the H2n recording at 16-bit / 44.1 kHz resolution for up to 20 hours. When using the H2n as an audio interface, USB bus powering is possible.
- Rugged and Portable, Handheld or Mounted
- The durable, ergonomic body lends itself naturally to being handheld. Should you need to mount it on a mic stand or tripod, a threaded hole on the back of the H2n obviates the need for stand adapters. Obtain a hot shoe adapter (available separately) to attach the H2n directly to a DSLR.
- Signal Processing Adds Sonic Polish
- The H2n’s onboard effects allow you to add polish to your recordings and compensate for common problems or limitations in the acoustics of the recording environment. Compression can be used to control fluctuations in level, and the limiter can prevent distortion by controlling input signals that have excessively high levels. The selectable low-cut filter reduces signal below 80 Hz, which is useful for controlling pops, wind noise, blowing, and other kinds of low-frequency rumble such as transmitted resonance from an onstage mic stand.
- Musician-Friendly Features
- The onboard metronome and tuner functions are helpful when recording musicians. Also, since you can loop playback and adjust pitch and speed independently, the H2n is an ideal tool for phrase training. Insert up to 99 marks per recording to create locate points, split files into smaller chunks, and normalize files for maximum gain.
- Special Recording Functions
- The H2n offers selectable recording functions designed to prevent you from accidentally missing the start of a performance. By keeping the previous two seconds (one second in 4ch mode at 96 kHz) of audio whenever you press the record button, the pre-record option ensures that you’ll never cut off the beginning of a great take. Auto-record can automatically start recording when a user-set sound level is detected, making it great for voice-activated recording. The H2n’s Data Recovery feature automatically repairs corrupted files—something that can happen if power is interrupted during recording or if an SD card is removed during a writing or editing procedure.
- Streamlined Controls and Clear Display
- Day or night, view vital information such as audio levels, recording time, battery status, and more on the 1.8″ monochrome backlit LCD. Transport controls, menu navigation buttons, and analog-style mic gain are presented nearby for access to all the H2n’s operations and functions. If you don’t wish to manually set the input level, choose one of the three Auto Gain presets to automatically set the optimum recording level.
- Supports External Remote Control
- Use the wired remote (available separately in the APH-2n accessory pack) to control the transport and add marks at a distance while eliminating handling noise.